Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Blaze a Trail

pi·o·neer [pahy-uh-neer].
noun
one who is first or among the earliest in any field of inquiry, enterprise, or progress

verb
to lead the way for (a group); guide

Most people look at you like you're crazy when you say you're going to run a half marathon. I get it, because that's how I look at people who sign up for full marathons.  Running makes me feel strong- mentally, physically and spiritually. I enjoy the fact that it requires a level of endurance that most of us don't believe we are capable of sustaining.  Marathon running requires a deeper level of commitment, discipline, than most of us are used to.

I started training for a half marathon 2 weeks ago. Prior to the training plan, I was blessed to find a running partner who would run with me at least twice a week, consistently. Running with her caused me to push my body beyond what was comfortable and it's helped make me a better runner in the process. I've started to recognize that many times I thought I was pushing myself, but when I would stop, I realized I still had so much more left to give.

For my training, I run with a running group called Black Girls Run! (I am the ambassador for the Phoenix metro area.) It's hard to fully understand the value of running with a group until you've done it. Knowing that other people are depending on you, that you share common goals and being apart of a sisterhood are just some of the reasons it means so much to me to run with a group .

My running buddies - Our 1st group run @ Tempe Town Lake in Tempe, AZ 
On our first run out as a group, one of the ladies that I knew would keep us on a great pace was asked to be the lead runner for us. She accepted the role and we were off. Because she had no experience with running that particular path, there were several times where either I or one of the other ladies had to yell out to her to keep her on the right path. As we were running I realized this must be what it must be like to pioneer anything. When you are the first to do it, you're going to make mistakes. You're going to go in directions that will make it take longer than it would have if you were already familiar with it. You're going to have to risk the possibility of failure-that because you're out front other people will have a front row seat to your mistakes. But are you going to let that stop you? Or are you going to look at the fact that because you keep going you end of up blazing a trail for others to follow?

I realize that some of the things that I've been called to do, may not have a clear path that I can follow, because I'm the one who's supposed to blaze the trail. With the Holy Spirit as my guide, I'm supposed to tread over fear, discouragement and complacency on this path to the rich and satisfying life that God has promised us in John 10:10. By doing so, my husband and I, both, leave a path for generations that will come after us to follow.

What about you? How are you blazing a trail in your own life? What are you called to pioneer for the generations after you?

To the disciplined life!
Kendra

2 comments:

  1. Kendra you are amazing! Please post this blog as often as possible. I am inspired to never, never, never give up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @montgomery4life Your comment made my day! Yes, my plan is to post often. I have TONS to say about living a disciplined life. :-)

    ReplyDelete